05 October 2012

Times like these you learn to love again...

(I started this post last night, but then I decided I would rather just...be)

Today is a milestone for me.  Not a very pretty one, but a huge one.  Today is the day after the regular season of baseball ends and the postseason starts.  Not so long ago, six months to the day, to be exact, I was gearing up to go to Reds opening day the next day.  Well, in theory.  In reality, everything that had been unraveling in me came completely undone.  Not just a little fraying, but like a giant ball of yarn that a cat has been playing with for hours and strewn all over the living room undone.

In the aftermath of the destruction that this caused, I rested.  I healed.  I cried.  I prayed.  A lot.  I raged.  I went to appointments.  Doctors.  More doctors.  Pharmacies.  I went to be every single flippin' night not thinking I could get up and do it all again the next day.  And yet every single flippin' day I woke up.  I didn't know why.  All I wanted for so long was to not.  Not to wake up.  Not to hurt.  Just...not.

Here's the thing about all of that.  Once you start on the clean-up, you have to see it through.  So more than anything, I fought.  Because I knew what the cost was for giving in.  I fought, and am still fighting, as hard as I could, as hard as I can.

Today I am blessed to be alive.  I am grateful for it, which I might not have said even two months ago.  Like I said, I am still fighting.  I have a strong support system of friends and family near and far, they keep me going.  God keeps me fighting.  Lifts me up.  Reminds me that I am something of worth and that I still have so much more to give in this world.

Today, just live.  <3

1 comment:

Heather Seta said...

This is beautiful, Shannon, and I praise God for your testimony. He gives us trials to give us testimonies to draw us closer to Him and prove He is God. I don't know your situation, but it sounds like you went thru a lot. I am thankful He brought you thru that fire to share His mercy and grace.