02 October 2012

The Guys

When I was a teenager, defiant and full of dreams and expectations, I don't think I ever envisioned kids in my future.  Not that I didn't want them, they just didn't fit in to my plans for myself.  I never had that overwhelming desire to be a wife and mommy.

Well, obviously things changed, one kid at a time for six years until I had a d'oh moment where I realized, yes, indeed I did have four children.

But before that, there was my eldest niece.  I was still in the highlight of my turbulent twenties when she came around.  At first she was almost like a novelty.  It didn't seem real that my little sister had such a cute little thing.  Let me tell you.  Since she was just a small bundle of action and pep, that little girl stole my heart.  She was the only kid around for three years until I had my oldest, and she got ALL the attention.  I don't know how I sat through so many Veggie Tales videos, but for her, I did.  Even when I had been out since 3 am the night before.

Since then I've been blessed to have three more of my own, but also to have another niece and a nephew.  Today is my nephew's 11th birthday.  He's my little buddy and I really miss him.  I wish I could be there to celebrate with him.  Since we have moved, I don't see them like I want to.  But they hold a special place in my heart and they are my blessing for the day.  LOVE my guys!!

No comments: