01 October 2012

Its October!

October 1st!  I do love October.  While this weekend was this glorious perfect weather, today is cool and rainy.  I'll be honest.  Must as I adore sunshine, I love the rain.  It could rain every single day and I would be ok with that.  Obviously it rains WAY more here that it does in the Southwest, so my love of rain works out pretty well.  I worked with my window open today...and a blanket wrapped around me.  I just couldn't stand not letting the fresh air in.  :)

Going to start the month with just one thing I am grateful for.  Its a big one in my life right now.


This is Rosie.  We have been wanting a dog for awhile now, but as we have been virtual gypsies in our many travels and moves, not so feasible.  We waited until the guys were here this summer to rescue a shelter dog.  Turns out, she was the one doing the rescuing.

Walking into a shelter is always a painful process.  All those dogs looking up at you with the sad eyes or the excited eyes, barking, wagging, vying for attention.  We went in looking for a particular dog, but he had already been adopted.  As we walked the aisles, I saw her.  She was quiet, shy in her corner softly wagging her tail.  She was in a pen with another dog, her brother, who was very friendly and enthusiastic.  But I wanted her.  She had a look of a dog who needed me.  

I've never heard of an assistance dog for someone with anxiety issues, but this dog is it.  She is a Border Collie mix, probably Australian Shepherd.  She and her brother were dropped off at a vet's office, so we don't know her history.  As we brought her home into our family, it was obvious she had been through some sort of abuse.  It took some time to get her out of her shell and to see any signs of confidence.  Today, you wouldn't even recognize her as the dog we took home that day.  She's our buddy, our protector and my security blanket.  She seems to have an uncanny sense when things are... off...for me and when that happens, she will not leave my side.  Those of you that aren't dog people may roll your eyes, but there is nothing like the companionship.

So today, I give you Rosie.  She hangs out at my feet looking out the window most days that I work and its endlessly comforting to just be able to lean over and ruffle her fuzzy head.

No comments: