06 July 2011

Day 2: More Missouri and Oklahoma

Woke up to a HOT and humid day in St. Louis.  And with a lot less skip in our step.  But we had more to go to get to Tulsa and see the guys.  This is where the trip started to lag, no surprise.  We were traveling on a holiday weekend, so of course on a Saturday morning, lots of peeps trying to get out of town and to the lakes.  I had boat envy in a major way on this stretch of the trip.  I was fantasizing about being at a lake, not in a car.  The central part of Missouri is absolutely gorgeous.  Hilly, green, lots of trees.  We saw Six Flags from the road and signs for all the lakes and recreational areas, but not anything close up.  Next time through I would like to stop at some of the caves.  Missouri is cave country, after all.  Who knew?

We did get to drive through Joplin, which I admit I was a bit freaked out about.  Luckily, the damage that we could see from the highway was minimal.  Uprooted trees, signs, some snapped poles and that was about it.  I wasn't going to go into town and go gawk and disturb people trying to rebuild lives.


By the time we got to Joplin, which was pretty close to the Oklahoma border, we had been through what seemed like hundreds of radio stations, 50 games of Interstate Jeopardy, a case of Red Bull (felt like it!) and were beginning to get pretty chippy.  Luckily I am certifiable, so getting chippy just makes me that much funnier.  Ask anyone.  :):)  

Oh, Oklahoma.  Flat, brown, boring. Nah, actually this part of Oklahoma was green and had trees!  But still boring.  And toll roads?  Really?  Here's how I really feel about Oklahoma.


The drive from the Oklahoma border to Tulsa felt like the longest drive I've ever taken.  I was getting anxious to see the guys, I was hot, tired, hungry and generally pissy.  We hit a bunch of annoying road construction but obviously we did eventually make it.  And it was all worth it in the end!!  Just for the record, they were just as excited to see me as I was to see them.  :):)

Observations from Day 2:
  • Don't underestimate the awkwardness of having dinner with your kids, your current and your ex husband.  Nothing a couple of drinks can't help.
  • Toll roads are dumb.  Wait, did I already say that?  Toll roads in the middle of nowhere are dumb.  Why do I have to pay to drive through your state?  Especially when the road is crappy?
  • Choosing to do the trip in two days was brilliant.  Stay tuned for day 3.....




No comments: