31 May 2013

But I do it for the love

I recently had the opportunity to live unplugged for almost two weeks.  We will call it an opportunity, although when the disconnection began, it felt like anything but.

I consider myself a fairly evolved human being.  Intelligent, on most days.  My education is well rounded, some of which I actually remember.  I never realized how dumb doing 100 things at once has made me.  At any given time, I have my laptop, my cell phone, my tablet and either the television with a game or music on.

Our brains were not designed to deal with so many different stimuli at one time.  My pride at being a multi-tasker simply means this - I am mediocre at doing lots of activities.  I have lost the capability to give one thing all of my attention, unless I absolutely need to.

No wonder I've been exhausted, overrun, overwrought.  Anxious, despondent and furiously pissed are all accurate descriptions.  Done, most days.

Amazing things happened when I had to refocus.  I read, a lot, just like I normally do.  I wrote, almost unceasingly, and well.  I listened.  I started remembering things I had forgotten I ever even knew.  I sat, quietly, peacefully.  I watched the world around me and I gave thanks to the Lord for it.  I heard exactly what He had been trying to tell me and I understood it with a clarity that took my breath away.

I saw the sun rise, I saw it set, I watched storms ebb and flow.  And I knew, without having to over think and analyze, that life is good and worth living.  I let others help where I could not and worked on what I could control.



Since I've been home, I am easing back in to the technology tentatively.  The overwhelming urge to turn everything on at once is a hard habit to break.  But the truth is, I don't need to obsess myself with the news.  I don't need to know who had what for breakfast or which kids are perfect, still.  I will pick and choose what I expose my brain to and hopefully keep remembering the things I already know.

There is hope in simplicity, in remembering.

And I know that those who love me, remember that.  I count on it.







No comments: